LESSON 184/SOUL WINNING
Notes from The Divine Art of Soul Winning, J.O. Sanders; The Soul Winner's Fire, John R . Rice; also notes from L .E . Maxwell's messages .
Proverbs 11:30 "He that winneth souls is wise." See also Daniel 12: 3.
Psalms 126:5,6 "They that sow in tears shall reap in joy . He that goeth forth and weepeth, bearing precious
seed, shall doubtless come again with rejoicing , bringing sheaves with him ."
Few are called to be preachers, but every born again Christian is called to be a soul winner - one who deals individually and personally with souls.
Preachers and missionaries often get so busy with meetings and classes that they forget the private
touch of personal soul winning.
Story of a Pastor's bad dream - He stood at the judgement bar and God asked, "Where are the souls of your friends and servants?" "I don't know, Lord, " he said, and sank into hell. As he finished relating the story to his wife fell over dead.
Soul winning is a defenite effort to lead a defenite person to accept a defenite Saviour at a defenite time(Billy Sunday)
Small caliber men won Moody and Spurgeon. Andrew brought Peter to Christ.
"If I were utterly selfish and had no care for anything but my own happiness, I would choose, If I might under God, to be a soul winner, for never did I know perfect overflowing, unutterable happiness of the purest and most ennobling order till I first heard of one who had sought and found the Saviour through my means" C H Spurgeon
I REASONS FOR BEING A SOUL WINNER
1. The worth of a Soul. We may be the only one who can make an impression on that particular soul, and his soul is worth more than all the world, Mk 8:35-38.
2. The fact of hell. If we truly believed that souls were headed for lost eternity of hell fire, brimstone, torture, darkness, anguish and pain for ever, we would surely do all in our power to persuade men to turn from sin to Jesus Christ.
3. The sufferings of Christ on the cross for each sinner. Did he suffer in vain?
4. The emptiness, folly and vanity of this world. In Christ we have found somethingand we have something positive enduring to present to our friends.
5. The desire to have the family circle complete in Heaven. Wouldn't it be sad to know that one relative was missing we were lazy or careless?
6. The glories of Heaven drive the soul winner on to have others share these.
7. The personal rewards that are offered to faithfull soul winners - Crowns etc.
II NEEDS OF A PERSONAL WORKER
1. He must be saved himself and be sure of his own salvation.
2. He must live a pure life, inside and outside - a life surrendered to Jesus Christ.
3. He must work in spirit of love and perseverance, not to be arrogant and overbearing.
4. He must have a fair knowledge of the Bible and know how to use the Bible. Many shy
away from personal work , excusing themselves wth their ignorance of the bible .
Actually , ignorance is no excuse. Study the bible diligently . God says in James 1:5. " If
any of you lack wisdom , let him ask of God , that giveth to all men liberally , and upbraideth
not; and it shall be given him. "
5. He must be a man of prayer , relying on the Lord to convert the sinner .
6. His life must be powerful in that it is filled with Holy Spirit . Eph 5:18
" And be not drunk with wine, wherein is exess; but be filled with the spirit"
7. He must have a compassion for lost souls - a passion for the lost. If he does not ,
he will work with a dead , machanical , dispassionate concerned , and the individual will
III GOD'S WAY IN SOUL WINNING , Ps 126: 5,6
1. The " GO " in soul winning " He that goeth forth....... "
Do not wait for the sinner to speak to you or open the conversation. God's order
is that we go to him and maneuver the conversation to salvation.
2. The broken heart in soul winning " .... weepeth....."
Jesus wept over Jerusalem. His heart was full of compassion for the lost.
Jeremiah wishes that he might weep day and night for Israel, Jer. 9:1
Paul wept for souls. Act 20:19 "...with many tears and temptations..."
Act 20:31 "I ceased not to warn everyone night and day with tears..."
3. The word of God "...bearing precious seed..."
Do not expect people to be converted by your rhetoric, logic or arguments.
Peter tells us that men are born again by the word of God. 1 Ptr 1:23
Jesus exhorts us in the parable of the Sower and the Seed to use good seed.
One verse might be sufficient and generally a mass of verses only confuses.
Learn verses by memory. Atlest learn the references, so that you can find it.
Depend on the Word of God for conviction of sin and renewing in faith.
4. The certainity of results "... shall doubtness come again, ....bringing his sheaves..."
You will not win every one that you talk to. But you will win some. Would it not be wonderful if
we won 2% of them to be Lord?
Also, we may talk to the same person ten times and then win him the eleventh time.
Each conversation is perhaps a link in the chain drawing others to Christ.(One seed for the crow,
one for the cutworm, one that doesn't sprout, one to grow)
5. The soul winner's joy "....shall come again with rejoicing...." "reap in joy..."
The Bible speaks of rejoicing in Heaven over one sinner that repends, Lk 15:7-10)
Isaiah 53:11 "He shall see of the travail of His soul, and shall be satisfied"
The joy of personal salvation is often superseded by the joy of soul winning.
IV PROCEDURE AND GENERAL RULES.
1. Seek and Pray for opportunity, and then use them. Don't wait for more convenient season.
2. Lead directly to a defenite acceptance of Christ. It is quite possible to talk about Christ,
the Bible and related subjects, but never face the main issue.
3. Deal with your own age and sex if possible. However if the spirit (not self) prompts to speak
to someone else, don't hesitate; proceed atonce.
4. Be courteous. Don't be overbearing or too talkative. Let them speak, too. Don't argue.
5. Avoid familiarities. Some might apreciate it but most of the people resent it.
6. Deal with the person along if at all possible. In a crowd he will 'save face' with excuses, but
alone He is more apt to open upto you, heart to heart.
7. Always keep confidences. If he confesses sins, etc. , remember the bible says, "he which
converteth the sinner from the error of his way, shall save a soul from death and shall hide a
multitude of sins," Js 5:20
8. Don't be drawn into an argument. The devil uses this as a sidetrack from conversion.
9. Don't rely on your own ability or experience. Keep silently praying for guidance.
10. Don't become impatient. It is a tremendous decision - the greatest decision in life - and it is only
right that people consider well before taking the step.
11. Deal with sinners as if you are a fellow sinner - not a superior being.
When the person is ready to make the decision, get him to kneel if possible.
Pray for him and with him get him to pray audibly too if possible.
After prayer, give him some verse of the Bible for assurance of salvation.
If possible keep in contact with him and continue to instruct the convert.
Get him to witness and work for Christ atonce.
If your attempts fail, keep praying, keep trying, and God will give grace and fruit.